Skip Navigation
Print Share

Director of Development

Company: Wichita Grand Opera
Date Posted: October 18, 2017

WGO’s Director of Development will be responsible for planning, implementing, and managing all fundraising activities of the WGO. Earned income from performances and annual fundraising events totals 55% of WGO’s annual budget. The remaining 45% (currently $400,000 per year) comes from government grants, foundations, corporations, private donors, and Board members.

 

The Director of Development will work closely with the Board of Directors and the President & CEO to support the WGO’s mission and facilitate the company’s growth. The Director of Development is a senior staff member and reports to the President & CEO.

 

Duties and Responsibilities:

  • Actively identify and cultivate new funders to support WGO’s growing programs.
  • Develop and maintain relationships with funders through meetings, correspondence, or other communications.
  • Prepare funding proposals, mail campaigns, print materials, pledge reminders, thank you notes, tax receipts, and other communications.
  • Oversee WGO’s fundraising calendar and ensure all application and reporting deadlines are met.
  • Oversee donor recognition activities.
  • Stay informed about WGO programs and activities.
  • Assist with WGO performances and other events, including occasional weekend or evening activity.
  • Other duties as assigned by the President/CEO.

 

Knowledge & Skills:

  • A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
  • Prior experience as a fundraising professional for a nonprofit organization.
  • Exceptional time management, organizational, and communication skills.
  • Experience creating budgets for proposals and financial reports.
  • Precise, detail-oriented writing and editing skills.
  • Expertise in Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Acrobat, and fundraising database and research software.
  • A resourceful and detail-oriented work ethic.
  • Knowledge and appreciation of opera, or the performing arts in general, is preferred.

 

WORK CONDITIONS:

  • Ability to work evenings or weekends as necessary.
  • Sitting and standing for extended periods of time.
  • Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
  • Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment.

 

Start Date and Salary: This full-time position is available immediately. Salary is negotiable based on experience. Benefits include health and dental insurance, IRA, vacation, and indoor parking.

 

Interested candidates should submit a cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and references to Edward Lada, President & CEO, at ejlada@wichitagrandopera.org.