Director of Development and CommunicationsCompany: Interfaith Housing Services, Inc.
Date Posted: June 14, 2017
Interfaith Housing Services, Inc.
Development & Communications Director
The mission of Interfaith Housing Services, Inc. is to develop, promote, and implement programs, which assist persons of low to moderate income to meet their housing needs. IHS envisions communities where equal opportunities for safe, affordable, accessible, and quality housing services are available for everyone.
The Director of Development and Communications will be responsible for ensuring achievement of our fundraising and communication goals through collaboration, strategy, planning and execution. The individual in this key role will work closely with the Executive Director, senior leadership team, the Board of Directors and Fund Development Committee. The Director will design and execute a campaign framework for ongoing financial support, directing fundraising activities related to securing contributions from foundations, churches, businesses and individuals and leading the organization’s communications strategy. The Director may supervise other staff and volunteers assigned or recruited to help fulfill this responsibility.
Specifically, the Development and Communications Director will focus their efforts to accomplish the following activities:
Design, implement and manage all fundraising activities including annual giving, endowment and capital campaigns, special events, and other resource development activities including:
- Promote and maintain a culture of philanthropy through the organization.
- Manage all strategies and activities for donor cultivation, solicitation, and relations.
- Develop a comprehensive planned-giving program as the need becomes appropriate.
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them.
- Develop and grow a major gifts program including identification, prospect research, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
- Establish and maintain gift recognition, acknowledgements, and incentives for donors and volunteers.
- Coordinate fundraising special events.
- Keep donor thank you letters up to date with current information.
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about IHS with the community.
- Create and manage annual budget.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
Shape, manage and drive the implementation of an effective outreach and communication campaign to educate and cultivate community support, including:
• Develop and implement cost-effective marketing and outreach strategies to communicate with a range of constituencies through printed and electronic media.
• Plan and organize campaigns that promote affordable housing as part of the economic and ecological sustainability of our community.
• Work with Program Managers to inform and educate our homeowners and renters on financial education and counseling, home repair and maintenance, and asset-building programs.
• Communicate and collaborate with a range of people and organizations.
• Arranges for professional photoshoots and maintains image and logo files.
• Create, write, edit and produce press releases, publications, videos, exhibits, and printed and digital materials, including annual reports.
• Update and maintain organization’s website, on-line publications, and social media.
Board of Directors and Volunteers
- Work with the Fundraising Committee to initiate and meet fundraising goals.
- Develop fundraising training for Board Members and other volunteers.
- Assists the President with recommending and researching potential Committee and Board members.
Development Office Infrastructure
- Create office systems to support all development and communication projects and operations.
- Supervise donor and gift record-keeping.
- Coordinate development research activities.
- Oversee the management of databases, records, files, gift processing and tracking systems.
- Manage the pledge reminder and donation acknowledgement systems.
- Must embrace the mission of Interfaith Housing Services.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Experience with developing and maintaining productive working relationships with Board Members, donors, volunteers and staff.
- Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- Ability to understand, analyze and manage timelines and budgets effectively.
- Experience with website and newsletter production and message development.
- Capacity to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills. Regular use of Word, Excel, WordPress, Photoshop and design/ layout software, and Fundraising database.
- Ability to work as a leader and as part of a team.
- A minimum of 3 years professional fundraising experience (or equivalent), with some experience in major gifts, capital campaigns, or planned giving.
- Proven experience in grant research and in preparing applications.
Please email the cover letter and your resume to LornaM@ihs-housing.org. Questions, call 620.662.8370 ext. 717